Friday, September 21, 2012

Ideals, Passion, and Ethics

In this trip, I've met a stellar individual, who is young and passionate in what she does.

We went to the Domaine Perraud winery, which belongs to Sonia and her husband. Sonia’s husband came from a family of vineyard owners. He decided to create their own wine because it is a better way to showcase the quality of grapes that they grow because selling them to a bigger wine production company may not fully showcase the flavor of their grapes.

At Domaine Perraud winery, Sonia was talking proudly about terroir. About how the wine produced represents their soil. She also spoke about the quality vs quantity debate, where it all lies down to ethics.

Do we compromise quality for money sake? I know how angry I get when I see smaller food portion in my favorite restaurants each time there's a price hike. Why not they just increase the food price but retain the portion? #$%^!

*cool down, cool down*

I like Sonia's passion. If all entrepreneurs were like that, the world would be a better place. But you know what made me happy? The fact that idealistic, and driven individuals exist. Especially when they are young.

I am inspired.

---
On the same day, we went to a goat farm. The goats were SOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEE! (sorry, just had to do that)

The farm was owned by a middle aged couple. The goat cheese that they made was top notched! It was like nothing that I've ever tasted before! The "goat smell" which I loathed was not so significant. I loved the cheese! I wished we weren't so full so that we could grab more.


Their method of cheese making was primarily passed from one generation to the next. However, they mentioned that they may be the last generation of their family to make the Maconnais goat cheese because their children had no wish to continue their trade.

It is heartbreaking to watch a culture so beautiful and unique to slowly fade away because of disinterest. It was the exact opposite of Sonia's case.

I am sad.

---
Amidst everything, I feel that the world still has hope. If we would just work on our ideals, passion, and ethics.

Lets.

Cheers to the people of my generation.

- Wei Jie Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment