Friday, September 7, 2012

Ah yes, research...


So I guess it's probably about time I talked about why I'm actually here...

I am doing research on wound healing in skin cells. Originally, I was supposed to work on a project involving cancer but things rarely go as planned.

Anyways, I'm not really supposed to be divulging this information, so prepare for some vagueness, though I doubt the 3 or so of you reading this blog will rat me out ;)

So, like I said, I am working on a project involving wound healing in skin cells, specifically keratinocytes. The movement of keratinocytes to close an open wound is modulated by a protein whose expression is regulated post-transcription by miRNA (micro-RNA). In simple terms, miRNA works by binding to mRNA transcripts, preventing proper translation. The miRNA is regulated by other proteins, based on environmental factors, and is usually cleaved from an mRNA transcript, preventing translation of a different protein product.

In essence, the goal is to determine how the miRNA is regulated. By determining this mechanism, the protein that promotes keratinocyte movement in wound healing can be better understood and possibly controlled. The end goal of this research (aside from getting it published and turned into $$$) is to develop therapeutic drugs in order to facilitate the wound healing process. So, for example, instead of having a gash in your arm close up in a day or two, it could close up in an hour.

Of course, there have been plenty of hitches along the way, but maybe one day we can be like this guy: my childhood right here.

You know, minus the green and screaming. I can't believe that's a kid's show...


- Andrew Tang

No comments:

Post a Comment