Monday, June 4, 2012

Akwaaba

                                                                                                                                   5/30/12
            Akwaaba!!!!!!! It means welcome in Twi, which is one of the many languages spoken here in Ghana, English being one of those languages. Sometimes I still can’t believe I’m in Ghana, after fighting to get here and not knowing if it was possible, I’m in awe that this trip actually came together. 
            Things have been running smoothly in Ghana, I’m finally adjusting to the heat, getting use to the culture, people and way of life. I started my internship YAY!!!!!!!!!! I’m interning at a non-profit organization entitled CareShare, I would attach the link but I’m currently working on the website so I will attach the link when it’s finalized. CareShare works to connect people with one another so that everyone’s needs can be fulfilled. Hopefully in the days to come I will be working on documenting how a maternity clinic has been affected since CareShare provided them with running water, kind of like a before and after. I’m really excited to see what a maternity clinic in Ghana is like and to speak with the midwife and discuss her day to day life.

          In other news, I finally have a social life. It all began with a Bow Wow and Keri Hilson concert last weekend, which was very interesting to say the least. The concert was suppose to start at 7:00 and didn’t start until 9:30; I guess nothing in Ghana begins on time. Once the concert actually began, it was painfully obvious that we were American, photographers kept coming up to us and taking our pictures, we felt like we had paparazzi. All in all we had a great time and were happy to finally interact with people in our age group. In addition to the concert we also went to a cocoa farm and the botanical garden, at the cocoa farm we got to see cocoa beans and learned how it is made into a form we could actually recognize. The botanical gardens had a lot of similarities to our botanical gardens, we got to see the usual flowers and tress but we also got to see trees that spices come from like cinnamon, pepper and things of that nature.
            In addition to sight-seeing, we got to go to the beach on Memorial Day and had our own little BBQ complete with hamburgers, steaks and all the typical American foods, with a little Ghanaian twist to it. Things are going well in Ghana, I look forward to the various adventures that I’m sure will soon occur. 
 
A cocoa bean

Cocoa seeds



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, love that you have a social life, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your are having a great time so far! Where did you see the cocoa beans and seeds? Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You and Yes I am having a great time. We visited a cocoa farm because at a point in time Ghana provided about 50% of the worlds cocoa beans so there are many cocoa farms in the area.

    ReplyDelete