Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Taste of the Culture

May 28, 2012

On Friday afternoon we visited the Municipal Market, which I can only describe as every "food-ies" dream. The incredible assortments of fresh fruits, meat, vegetables, spices and desserts was truly incredible to see. The vendors of the fruit stands would enthusiastically call us over and allow us to sample as much fruit as they had time to slice up for us. Some of the types I particularly enjoyed was maracujá or passion fruit, caqui or persimmon, and lychee which tasted much to me like a grape.
Many of the other students also tasted the notorious mortadela sandwich. This mountainous sandwich is built on a French roll and piled high with the Brazilian equivalent of bologna sausage. Though I was told it was delicious, I personally chose to indulge myself instead at one of the many dessert stands where fresh strawberries were coated in front of me with rich chocolate. 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment