Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July 1, 2012: Goodbye Cluny, Hello Paris!


On Sunday, we woke up bright and early to catch the 8:30 TGV train from Macon to Paris. After arriving at the Gare de Lyon, the class said our goodbyes to each other and to the professor. I’m not going to lie- I did get a bit teary eyed. It hit me then that I was going to be leaving France soon, and also how much I was going to miss France and the class. Afterwards, we took the metro to get to our hotel in Montmartre, which was about 10 minutes away from the Moulin Rouge!

 
After we checked into our hotel, we left to go to the Arc de Triomphe. It was a fabulous and sunny day in Paris, and the Arc was absolutely beautiful. We also saw the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from World War I. 






We then walked along the Avenue des Champs-Élysées! The amount of shops and restaurants located there was absolutely astounding. We visited a couple shops, including one that had men dressed up as Gladiators dancing in front of the store…definitely not something you see every day. We were definitely intrigued, and decided to visit the shop. They were around the store holding up some racks of clothing, and also, when the song “Vogue” came on, they started dancing on a stage in the store! It was definitely a funny sight to see.




Afterwards, we made our journey to our last stop of our night in Paris, which was the Eiffel Tower. We stopped for dinner, and just as the sun was setting, we took a boat ride along the Seine. 



 The girls and I also enjoyed a bottle of Pinot Noir on this boat ride, and again, I got teary eyed that it was going to be our last day in France.




We saw the Eiffel tower lit up, which was a spectacular and beautiful scene.



After our boat ride, we went up the steps to the top of the Eiffel tower. Even though I climbed more steps than I have ever climbed in my life, it was definitely worth it. The views were breathtaking and beautiful, and overlooking look at Paris lit up at night made me awestruck. Additionally, we saw the tower lit sparkle when it was midnight!






We then took a taxi back to our hotel, and called it a night. We had to catch our taxi very early (about 4 AM) so we stayed awake after returning to do some last minute packing. After a long day of traveling and very, very little sleep, I was definitely excited and relieved to see my parents waiting for me at the airport!
This trip to France was certainly a once in a lifetime trip that I will never forget. This was an extremely fun and wonderful learning experience, and a great way to experience Europe for the first time. Thanks to Leigh Newman Bell, Dean Young, Dr. Haggblom, Dr. Reinert, and Catherine Healy for making this once in a lifetime experience possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment