Sunday, May 27, 2012

Ah yes, the beaten track...

So I have been in Singapore for a couple days and the weather is hot, hazy, and humid. Walking outside is like walking into a wall...a wall of stickiness and sweat. It is, in fact, so hot that I have become emotionally involved with my air conditioning unit. Okay, I'm kidding, but even the locals complain about the heat!

In addition to the heat, thunderstorms are common. They are about as common as finding Starbucks walking down the street back home, though much less popular. Unfortunately, they do not appear to take away from the heat and only add to the humidity. A lot of the people I've talked to have unanimously agreed that the weather is the worst thing about Singapore.

On to more interesting things though: I have started my internship. Amidst the piles of journal articles and lab equipment though, I realized I needed supplies. No, not pipettes and the list of chemicals from the back of the orgo text book. I needed things like 2-ply and soap. So I asked some co-workers to point me in the direction of the nearest supermarket. Note: I did not ask for directions to get to the supermarket, I am incredibly talented at getting lost with or without instructions. Also, according to my post-doc buddy, being a married guy, he doesn't have to know where to get groceries. Lucky guy.

So, I began walking until I came upon a field. Now, I have been encouraged at points in my life to step off the beaten track. That forging a new road would be rewarding and fresh. Well, someone beat me to it... 
Now as far as tracks go, I'd say this one looked quite beaten down. It was also, well lets say, moist, it was very moist. Also, it was filled with snakes.

Now I apologize, I don't have any pictures of the snake that hissed and lunged at me. My fight or flight response does not have a “take picture of offending threat” option included. I don't think that would've have been evolutionarily beneficial either. Talking to a co-worker later, it seems that the snakes in Singapore are somewhat common and usually aggressive. Hopefully they're mostly ferocious garden snakes. A little ways further...

An example of how cross-cultural this country is.

Finally...
Ah the familiar stinky sock smell of durian that accompanies nearly all Chinese grocery stores. And to the victor goes the spoils! Also, green bread!


Apparently pandan is a plant that produces the chemical that gives white bread its distinct aroma. Adding it to bread seems a bit redundant I think, but hey! Green bread! Now if only I had some green eggs and ham...

Oh, also, there was a train station around the corner...doh!

No comments:

Post a Comment